Matteo Luigi Canonici, a member of the Jesuit order, was a tireless collector of artworks and precious objects. When the Jesuits were banned from the duchy of Parma in 1768, his medals and books were confiscated. Later, in Bologna, he was forced to part with his paintings as well. Eventually he retired to Venice, where he continued to amass books, coins, and sculpture until the end of his life. This Sephardic manuscript was in Jewish hands until at least 1763. It was acquired by Canonici soon after, and passed to the Bodleian in 1817.
Comments are closed.